[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 15:19:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Nelson" <emanmb@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:44 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Cleaning a Drum Dryer

In preping my Arkay Dual-Dri for sale, I am cleaning
and lubricating it inside and out.  I was wondering if
anyone has any experiences with this and had any tips
to pass along.
Using a helpful manual the nice folks at Regal-Arkay
sent me, I was able to get the thing apart with no
problems and I'm soaking the apron in many changes of
water presently.  I'm wondering what cleaning methods
others may have used for dryer aprons and what they
used to get the drum nicely shined.
As far as the drum is concerned it's a cosmetic thing
for the buyer since I haven't seen a ferrotyped print
since the '70's, but I'd like it to look as nice as
possible.
Thanks for any tips!
Eric

Probably the safest thing to use on the drum is Bon-Ami. I would be careful of anything more such as chrome polish. The aprons may have some Hypo in them, depending on how the thing was used. I have never heard of using a sulfite bath to help remove the hypo but it probably would work and I don't think would harm the cloth. I have also heard of treating aprons in what amounts to the old Kodak Hypo Eliminator. Most laundry detergents have a lot of Sodium Carbonate in them and are quite alkaline so they should wash out the hypo pretty well. The problem is keeping the apron from shrinking when it dries. Maybe you should just leave the apron cleaning to the buyer.

---