[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 09:12:35 -0400

DEAR RICHARD,
        I believe the baryta (barium sulfate) coating is under the gelatin
layers and not suspended in them (Neblette, Mees & James).  Recently I tried
etching out a black spot in a print with a sharp tool instead of bleaching
it out (or spotting the neg) and was a little over enthusiastic.  I saw the
image/gelatin layer(s?) come off and found the nice powdery white layer
underneath.  Good thing I had more prints!
                CHEERS!
                        BOB