[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:47:20 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "john stockdale" <j.sto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 7:07 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

I dry fibre prints in a flat bed dryer with the emulsion facing the cloth, i.e. not ferrotyping. Even without toning, I've noticed miniscule fibres from the cloth well and truly stuck to the emulsion. I use the usual sulphite/bisulphite wash aid. Am I correct in assuming that a hardening bath after the wash aid but before the main washing would make the fibres
less likely to adhere?

John Stockdale

The buffering of the Sulfite-Bisulfate wash aid (Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent) is supposed to adjust the pH of the emulsion to a point where the hardening of the usual white alum hardener is still effective but where the mordanting effect the hardener has for the thiosulfate is broken. Using an after hardener would undo part of the effect of the wash aid. I think its better to use either a hardening fixing bath or an auxilliary hardener before the wash aid treatment. The usual hardening fixing bath, especially "rapid" fixer, will fix out the paper before the hardener has time to work fully. This is one of the reasons for the very long fixing times specified in old books (along with the assumption that the fixer would be partially exausted). Since even hardened gelatin is fairly soft I suspect the real answer is to use some other method of drying or to replace the aprons (if possible) with new ones that don't leave fiber particles.

---