[pure-silver] Re: Cleaning a Drum Dryer

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 07:40:30 -0400

Hi,

I have two flat bed driers and I would like to clean/wash the cloths on them. Question is, how do I get the cloths off. There is a strip of metal with screws at the back that holds the cloth in place. Do I remove the strip to remove the cloth. To avoid having the cloth shrink, I though it might be best to use the drier itself at low temperature to dry the cloth.

Cheers,
Bogdan

john stockdale wrote:
I've cleaned the cloth on flat bed dryers with chlorine bleach (quite dilute!) because I read somewhere that the chlorine dealt with both with hypo resudue and gelatin. I use swimming pool "liquid chlorine" which is sodium hypochlorite solution (quite concentrated!). Laundry bleaches may contain detergents and perhaps other components which might be advantageous or otherwise. Be aware that chlorine is destructive, so it can't be used frequently: I use it once every few years.

Also, a few years ago, Edward Zimmerman recommended an enzyme cleaner. I don't remember its name but it might be searchable.

John Stockdale
===============>
At 07:44 AM  2/04/2007, Eric wrote:

In preping my Arkay Dual-Dri for sale, I am cleaning
and lubricating it inside and out.  I was wondering if
anyone has any experiences with this and had any tips
to pass along.
Using a helpful manual the nice folks at Regal-Arkay
sent me, I was able to get the thing apart with no
problems and I'm soaking the apron in many changes of
water presently.  I'm wondering what cleaning methods
others may have used for dryer aprons and what they
used to get the drum nicely shined.
As far as the drum is concerned it's a cosmetic thing
for the buyer since I haven't seen a ferrotyped print
since the '70's, but I'd like it to look as nice as
possible.
Thanks for any tips!
Eric

  Bogdan Karasek