[pure-silver] Re: Atomal?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, helenbach@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:01:10 -0500 (EST)

From: Helen Bach <helenbach@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Atomal?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:50:50 -0500

> Part of my curiosity is 'I wonder if anyone still makes N-hydroxyethyl
> o-aminophenol these days?'.

I'm not sure, but I suppose you could synthesize if you really wanted
it so badly :-)

> The aim would be to optimise the film/developer
> combination for scanning, tailoring it for the limitations and
> benefits of the scanning process and the capabilities of digital
> post-processing. In sixty years somebody will say "Still photographers
> had little idea about film as an origination medium for digital
> intermediate processes back then; it's a wonder that film survived."

I think it is the scanning technology that needs improvement. Films
have room in making grains smaller and speed higher, but if you are
happy with an ASA 50 then it's pretty much set.

> Maybe I should have added to my brief history something along the
> lines of: "Though introduced in about 1935, N-hydroxyethyl
> o-aminophenol is rarely mentioned in literature on developing agents.
> There's likely to be a good reason for this."

Then Phenidone was discovered by an Ilford chemist Kendall and people
spent a lot of work in compounds related to Phenidone. As people
worked out Phenidone-hydroquinone developers, the theory of
supperadditive development became very solid, largely thanks to
Levenson. Then industrial production of Phenidone started in 1953 or
so.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."