[pure-silver] Re: Atomal?

  • From: Helen Bach <helenbach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:13:29 -0500

Amidol is 2,4-diaminophenol hydrochloride, isn't it? Or is it just
2,4-diaminophenol?

Atomal was a developer made by Agfa and it was also a patented
developing agent made by Agfa. Agfa patented Atomal, then, as I
understand, May and Baker discovered that its low graininess and good
film speed could be maintained, but the developing time halved, if it
was mixed with glycin - and thus Promicrol was born.

It's a bit like Rodinal, I guess. There's a developer called Rodinal,
and the developing agent that goes by the simplified name of
p-aminophenol is also called Rodinal. Atomal is a derivative of
o-aminophenol, as it happens.

Best,
Helen