[pure-silver] Re: Atomal?

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:57:54 -0500 (EST)

From: Helen Bach <helenbach@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Atomal?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:13:29 -0500

> Atomal was a developer made by Agfa and it was also a patented
> developing agent made by Agfa. Agfa patented Atomal, then, as I
> understand, May and Baker discovered that its low graininess and good
> film speed could be maintained, but the developing time halved, if it
> was mixed with glycin - and thus Promicrol was born.

If you are after that effect in your Atomal pursuit, I'd drop the
project.  Those claims were made when people had little idea about
development. Today we know a lot more, which I suppose you
know. Entire range of needs are covered with Metol, Phenidone,
hydroquinone and ascorbates, and these agents pretty much made other
agents obsolete, except for some special purpose
applications. Achieving fine grain and good speed is a common goal of
standard film developers and the subject has been worked out well
enough. I personally believe developers based on Dimezone S and
ascorbate buffered at pH around 8 is very hard to beat, yielding more
speed, more accutance and less grain than D-76. Indeed, D-76 itself is
already good enough.

And one or two very good developers can cover almost all needs of
negative development for pictorial photography.
--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."