[pure-silver] Re: Agfa Sistan... now Selenium Protection

  • From: Tony Wingo <akw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:48:23 -0700

After over a decade and a half on the Internet, I have lost whatever
enthusiasm I might have had for the various flame-fests and urinary
competitions that are characteristic of the medium. My usual response
is to simply add the participants to my kill-file and get on with my
life.

However, given that Pure-Silver is my all time favorite mailing list,
and that there is some serious revisionism going on, I'm going to
jump in here, though I'll probably regret it:

>Richard, if you are blurring the distinction of voluntary service and
>obligatory service, how can you make sense out of complicated issues
>where more subtle distinctions are necessary?

Nobody said anything about obligatory service. I think the question
you have to ask is "why do you participate in this list at all?"

>I generally don't mind sharing information but not when someone
>applies such a faulty reasoning to give me undue pressure. This time,
>it is Bill Stephenson who is rude.

I looked back over this particular thread and didn't find anything
particularly rude on Bill's part.

>I merely said no to rude pressure
>to do extra work as if I were obligated. I won't give a penny to
>them. And this is not the first time Bill Stephenson is persistently
>giving me crap. Look at his posts on 24 January 2005. In that round,
>Bill Stephenson was trying hard to irritate me by rudely demanding me
>to provide information so that someone else could bring that info to
>APUG or photo.net or somewhere else to fuel his discussion on stop
>bath. In a good day when I have lots of free time I might help but
>don't expect me to do so every time.

OK. This is where the revisionism comes in. I went back and looked at
the discussion referenced and here is what I saw:

  1. Garry Lewis asked a fairly innocuous question about the effect of
     stop-bath carryover into fixer.

  2. You responded, in full with:

          "Are you soliciting information here so that you can
           paraphrase them in another forum?"

  3. This response struck me -- and obviously several others -- as
     irrelevant, rude, unhelpful and generally coming from way out in
     left field. Note: It was never confirmed that this was any more
     than a simple question. No one but you ever mentioned APUG or
     photo.net. You jumped down Garry's throat based on an unsupported
     assumption on your part.

  4. A number of people, including Bill, responded to the content and tone
     of your post. Bill's first response, to the content was:

          "What possible difference could that make? Do we really
           want people to explain exactly what they're going to do
           with information discovered here? If you know the answer,
           share it; I don't know it, but I'd like to."

     An entirely reasonable response, IMHO. His second response, to
     the tone of your post was:

           "you sure that's not "keep a big head..."?

     Commenting of course on your signature line. While this was less than
     completely polite on his part, it was a direct response to the
     rudeness on your part. Now, responding to rudeness with rudeness
     is a losing game, but at the same time any complaints you have about
     that post are pure pot and kettle.

So this whole idea that Bill was out to maliciously purloin your
valuable time and knowledge to benefit another forum, and that you
had to defend yourself to the death was something you made up out of
whole cloth.

>I don't remember if 24 January
>was my good day or not

Boy if that was a good day for you, I'd hate to see you on a bad one.

>but his post surely killed my desire to share
>anything useful, at least when he demans my service. This round is
>just another of those. There were a few other people who did this kid
>of things to me in the past. Now Richard Knoppow is doing the same.

Oh come on. One again this whole idea that people are out to deprive
you of your precious time is nonsense. If you don't want to
participate in a particular thread, just hit "Delete" and move on.
Once you do post to a thread it is then entirely reasonable for any
other participant to ask for clarification, to ask for justification,
to ask for documentation for any statement you have made. That's the
way mailing lists have worked since time immemorial. And snottily
announcing "Well I posted that already" is inadequate for two reasons:

   1. Unlike me, not everyone has saved (almost) every post to this list
      over the last five years. Though I guess there is an archive somewhere.
   2. Secondly, by my count you have posted 1633 times to this list since
      July 2002. Nobody is going to search through all of that without
      a little more information. For instance, in this case you said:
          "There is a pretty thorough Danish study showing that
          low density areas are converted to much lesser degree
          and KRST toned specimens are not as durable as KBT
          treated specimens.  I already posted references to
          that paper a few times."
     This simply doesn't provide sufficient information to go back through
     1633 post to locate said citation, since the citation - when finally
     located - made no reference to either Danes or KBT. So your getting
     huffy about people  not doing so is way outta line. Later you posted
          "Indeed I posted the complete info and a lot more on
           30 Nov 2004."
     Which was actually helpful and did indeed lead to the relevant
     citations.

>  << Several more paragraphs that fail to address any of Richard's
>      points skipped >>

Ryuji, no one doubts that you are extremely smart and extremely knowledgeable.
That, and the fact that DS-10 is the greatest thing since sliced
bread, have kept you out of my killfile so far. But if you don't get
rid of that huge chip you've got on your shoulder you're gonna get
*PLONK*'d right along side that nutcase from Ohio who posts to
rec.photo.darkroom.
--

-tony

San Leandro, CA