[pure-silver] Re: Agfa Sistan... now Selenium Protection

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 15:12:36 -0400 (EDT)

Richard, if you are blurring the distinction of voluntary service and
obligatory service, how can you make sense out of complicated issues
where more subtle distinctions are necessary?

I generally don't mind sharing information but not when someone
applies such a faulty reasoning to give me undue pressure. This time,
it is Bill Stephenson who is rude. I merely said no to rude pressure
to do extra work as if I were obligated. I won't give a penny to
them. And this is not the first time Bill Stephenson is persistently
giving me crap. Look at his posts on 24 January 2005. In that round,
Bill Stephenson was trying hard to irritate me by rudely demanding me
to provide information so that someone else could bring that info to
APUG or photo.net or somewhere else to fuel his discussion on stop
bath. In a good day when I have lots of free time I might help but
don't expect me to do so every time. I don't remember if 24 January
was my good day or not but his post surely killed my desire to share
anything useful, at least when he demans my service. This round is
just another of those. There were a few other people who did this kid
of things to me in the past. Now Richard Knoppow is doing the same.

Richard, if you are saying I am not supplying information, you should
check your long-term memory. I supplied a list of publications that
are more recent than many work you cited in the past. Indeed Peter
Badcock could find them and he also posted a way to search past
archives. (Which I never used and I never knew.) It's not just
selenium. It's also about wash aid, fixer, etc. I posted quite a bit
of info on these with summaries from papers, for example, when John
Stockdale asked. He actually asked persistently until he got one of my
good days but I didn't mind helping him at all. Now when the same
topic comes up in a matter of few months and am I goign to repeat the
same service? What if someone made it as if I were obligated? No way.

I have often pointed out that Richard posts pages of descriptions here
related to photographic chemistry. Some of them are obsolete and later
research found something to change the explanation for the mechanism
or recommendation for practical procedures. Richard himself often
admitted that he is referring to an old book by Mees and not keeping
up with more recent researches. I used to mail him a stack of xerox of
papers relevant to then-recent discussion but a few other people found
this and requested me the same service for them. But my time is
limited and I can't do the same to all, so I simply don't mail papers
to anyone on this list unless I got a copy from someone on the list. I
know Richard is unhappy about this discontinuation. Richard and
others, are you expecting to get a stack of paper from me? You should
find a decent document service company and get them yourself. Or find
a competent librarian.

Richard, as far as I remember I only sent you two non-photography
related articles to illustrate discussion on the list. I explained to
you what they were talking about when I sent you the papers. One was
related to toxicity of hydroxybenzenes. Jonathan Borden was making 180
degree turn in his strong opinions about toxicity of pyrogallol when
he cited an irrelevant research to the context. I sent you and him the
research he cited, so that you can judge for yourself. Another one was
related to caffeine and theobromine discussed here. I sent you
something related to physiological effect of caffeine. Before I sent
those papers offlist to you, you requested me to supply something to
support what I was discussing. I am very disappointed that you can't
even follow the context of discussion.

Anyway, just because you have way too much time in your hands to keep
going for pages to post something on a topic over and over, don't
expect me to do the same. I have shared a lot of information with the
list, but I avoid repetition of the same for brevity and economy of my
time unless there is substantially new element to be added. At the
same time, I never prevented others from reposting my past postings
when necessary. I'd rather spend my time on something new than
repetition of dead horses.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."