[projectaon] Re: LW refresh - including illustrations!

  • From: Jonathan Blake <blake.jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 12:41:27 -0800

On 1/1/06, Thomas Wolmer <angantyr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Happy New Year everyone (who follows a calendar where this is relevant)!

Happy New Year!

> Slightly hotter news is that Paul Haskell, who helped out with some
> illustration processing for the Action Chart Pack, has offered to
> rescan and process Gary Chalk's illustrations from the first eight LW
> books. Looking at what he's achieved with the 01fftd illustrations, it
> is indeed possible to squeeze out quite some better quality even if
> you don't have access to copies of the originals (which is our case
> with Brian Williams's illustrations). You can view the large and small
> illustrations here:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/thomas/01fftd_ill/
>
> The improvements come at the cost of larger file sizes (many thin
> black lines are harder to compress than a grey blur); the files are on
> average about 1/3 larger, but I think we can live with that?

Good stuff. We have the disk space, the question is do our readers? In
this case the tradeoff seems to be a good one.

> Another illustration improvement is the clickable RNT Ingo made:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/ingo/imagemap/random.html
>
> I haven't figured out how to do this in the XML/XSL though. Jon, you
> had some idea...?

This will require the addition of the imagemap and related tags and
attributes to the DTD and some work in the XSL to generate the numeric
pages.

How about something like the following:

<section id="random">
 <data>

 <illustration ...>
  <imagemap id="mapname">
   <area ... idref="random0" .../>
  </imagemap>
  <instance ... map="mapname" .../>
 </illustration>

 <section id="random0">
  <data>
  </data>
 </section>
</section>

> Finally, there's this idea about different illustration handling that
> was discussed in this thread:
>
> //www.freelists.org/archives/projectaon/08-2005/msg00053.html
>
> I'll work some more on that one...

Sounds great.