[projectaon] Re: LW refresh - including illustrations!

  • From: Thomas Wolmer <angantyr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 01:45:16 +0100

2006/1/1, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Thomas Wolmer wrote:
> > http://www.projectaon.org/staff/thomas/01fftd_ill/
>
> If you want, I could do a bit of minor editing to each pic to ensure the black
> line "frames" around each pic are square and straight. That might help avoid
> any
> grey fuzziness around the outside of the pics, I think?

Hm I am not sure I understand what you mean? I see that a few pics are
somehat slanted and these could be straightend up (but preferrably in
higher resolution, i.e. using Paul's original scans), but I don't see
any grey fuzziness? Since these are GIFs, not JPEGs, there is no
technical reason for such fuzziness. I'd also not want to lose the
hand-drawn feel that the sligtly uneven frames give.

> As for the colour maps, I have attempted making better versions of them
> myself,
> and they're contained within the Magnamund Atlas:
>
> http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/Temp/Magnamund_Atlas.pdf
>
> See what you think, Thomas. I can mail you downsampled the JPEG files
> (1024x768)
> if you think they'll be of use. There's little that can be done to the map
> from
> Books 1&2 because the version we have already is taken from the rear cover of
> the hardback "Lone Wolf Adventures", meaning there's no crease down the centre
> of it, but I've attempted to marry up the ones from Books 3-8 to remove all
> traces of any bend/fold/crease/split.

Oh, I was too lazy to check that collection as I assumed you had just
taken the images from the books. But these are far improved yes.
However, the text on the maps is still very hard (or impossible) to
read in many places. I was wondering if it was possible to raise the
contrast somewhat, perhaps locally around the texts, or perhaps by
manipulating the colours of the whole maps. This is not necessarily
twisting them far from what they should have been - the printers may
not have been very careful with the colours. And I don't have any
books with me here, but I remember the maps of books 5 & 6 as being
far paler in colour (and thus easier to read) in the Swedish editions.

--
Thomas