[projectaon] Re: LW refresh - including illustrations!

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:10:13 +0000

Thomas Wolmer wrote:
[snip]
Slightly hotter news is that Paul Haskell, who helped out with some
illustration processing for the Action Chart Pack, has offered to
rescan and process Gary Chalk's illustrations from the first eight LW
books. Looking at what he's achieved with the 01fftd illustrations, it
is indeed possible to squeeze out quite some better quality even if
you don't have access to copies of the originals (which is our case
with Brian Williams's illustrations). You can view the large and small
illustrations here:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/thomas/01fftd_ill/

The improvements come at the cost of larger file sizes (many thin
black lines are harder to compress than a grey blur); the files are on
average about 1/3 larger, but I think we can live with that?

If you want, I could do a bit of minor editing to each pic to ensure the black line "frames" around each pic are square and straight. That might help avoid any grey fuzziness around the outside of the pics, I think?

As for the colour maps, I have attempted making better versions of them myself, and they're contained within the Magnamund Atlas:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/simon/Temp/Magnamund_Atlas.pdf

See what you think, Thomas. I can mail you downsampled the JPEG files (1024x768) if you think they'll be of use. There's little that can be done to the map from Books 1&2 because the version we have already is taken from the rear cover of the hardback "Lone Wolf Adventures", meaning there's no crease down the centre of it, but I've attempted to marry up the ones from Books 3-8 to remove all traces of any bend/fold/crease/split.

Another illustration improvement is the clickable RNT Ingo made:

http://www.projectaon.org/staff/ingo/imagemap/random.html

Hey, I like that!

(If you're wondering, you happened to mail /just/ when I was idling and preparing to watch some TV--shock, horror--which is why this response was so darn prompt!)