[project1dev] Re: Maps

  • From: katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:30:20 -0800 (PST)

Ahhhh, right on! Thanks Alan =)

Katie

--- On Fri, 2/26/10, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [project1dev] Re: Maps
To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 11:45 AM

most games use mip maps, but it's just an engine internal thing, sometimes used
for tuning memory.

Specifically how mip maps work:

If i load a 1024x1024 image into memory and tell it to make mip maps, it'll
scale it down to make a 512x512 version, a 256x256 version, a 128x128 version
etc all the way down to like 1x1 i believe and it will store all of those in
memory.

What you can do though if you are overbudget in memory you can specify how many
mip maps to create, less mip maps = less memory used.

Also, you could do something like in that 1024x1024 example, you can tell it to
throw away the mips > 256x256.

This will make the texture look more lower resolution but in the process you
saved 4MB from the 1024x1024 image and 1MB from the 512x512 image so in total
you saved 5MB of memory just from doing that.

You might find some texture in the game that isnt really important (maybe its
only shown in one place players hardly ever see or maybe it is only shown from
really far away anyways) and then turn down the mips to get some memory back.

This isn't the kind of stuff you'll likely ever have to deal with but might be
good info to know.

I think usually technical artists and programmers deal with this kind of thing.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:05 AM, katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah, I already got the plug in. I dug around and researched it yesterday.

I use Maya so I am trying to see what the best route is for possibly using
normal maps. I am still discovering mudbox, and I don't know how easy it is to
get my hands on that, and if it is something I want to integrate into my
workflow. Still exploring that possibility...

From: Larvantholos <larvantholos@xxxxxxxx>

To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, February 26, 2010, 9:56 AM

Its an nvidia plugin you can get from their website, it allows you to edit and
draw on the maps, as well as create them within photoshop. You'll get a better
affect create the map in 3d - if you get your hands on mudbox even just for
rendering purposes it creates excellent normal mapping which in 3ds max
compatible mode will let you use it in most other programs :)