Re: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: "inthaneelf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:09:04 -0700

this mass of stuff, and you could arrow down and find out, just as you have had us having to down arrow to get to responses:

"you google for linux command line tutorial or something similar it should
turn up some nice results...

Then read the man pages for each application you use, or look for on line
documentation using google...
Graphical apps are fairly easy to use and cmd ones take a little bit of
reading just to learn the command line options for them...
They are pretty straight-forward though...

Then you can google for info on bash and learn how to write shell scripts
and this will teach you the cli very well as well...

and will we be able to read those files on Windows at the same time?

What files documentation?
Sure, from google. Man pages are built in to linux in /usr or something...
let me see where they are...
Uh... maybe /usr/local/man?
And you read the man page which is the manual basically with man
whatever...

If you meant read files from windows.
Sure, just mount your windows partition and work a way...
This can be done on a livecd or a linux installation.
It just needs ntfs-utils which ubuntu livecd comes with by default...

Failing that, how do you recommend getting started when you have to learn
both the speech system and the operating system.

Well the OS isn't to hard just learn the cli as I said read the manual
pages and ask here or on linux mailing lists... For graphical stuff look
for documentation and for speech/braille, read the brltty manual available
at its web site...
And if you use speakup read their manual...
Then you may want to look for gnome short keys or a quick gnome tutorial.

With orca I'm not sure of a 'manual' perhaps just look on their wiki or
whatever for what ever you want to know.
Ask on their mailing list anyway I'm sure they will help you...

You will probably want to use the command line mostly though... Not so
much the gui.

"

inthane
----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Dalton" <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>