Re: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:30:56 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, public.niran wrote:

Everyone seems to be voting for ubuntu. What about fedora, gentoo etc? Does

No not really. I don't no about them accept a little info on fedora.
I think you can get fedormodified:
ftp://fedormodified.org
That comes with speakup with a .23 kernel, orca and I would imagine/hope brltty...

I would seriously consider debian though.
That is where ubuntu came from, I guess a good thing about ubuntu is all the documentation though.
That is basically the same on debian too...
Debian comes with brltty, and may even come with orca otherwise its sudo apt-get install gnome-orca

You are probably best getting orca from svn and building from source even on ubuntu so you get the latest and greatest stuff...

setting up screen readers on those distros is harder?

No, if orca and brltty are in the repos its really easy. Speakup will take some work on any distrobution, however, I can upload my kernel if you want...

Also after listening to eloquence for so long don't know how well the synthes on linux sounds. Any thoughts on eSpeak, festival vs eloquence?

I personally have been using espeak on my linux box (I don't use windows) and have not had a problem.
I also use it with rockbox.
I wouldn't buy viavoice since it may use older c++ libs...

Also not sure about flite/festival, I never liked the sound of it...
I guess I could mail you some samples of espeak off list if you like.

Thanks everyone,

HTH,

--
Daniel Dalton