Re: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind programming <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:09:45 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008, Mario Percinic wrote:

Since there is so much talk about ubuntu and orca this days, i would suggest

Yes, ubuntu and orca is ok, but I personally prefer the command line since its far more accessible... Orca is good though. I prefer debian, since it seems to be better... Ubuntu seems to hide things and be more for the basic user that just wants things to work... Very similar to debian though, I use ubuntu on my laptop though and it works good.

to you to try ubuntu, specially after april 25, when new version comes out,

Your refering to hardy there? Well yes I would imagine orca would have been updated in their repo, but you will always find the best and latest orca in svn... Its what most people use these days... Aptitude's version is a long way out of date compared to that and lacks a lot of things...

which will enable the instalation of ubuntu on the same windows partition, so you can try it and see if you like it or not. Ofcourse i would suggest to you

What do you mean?
You can have a livecd; the whole distrobution runs from a cd or you can install to your hard drive and whipe windows. Or of course the dual boot which involves resizing the windows partition and then installing ubuntu to the free space so creating a new linux partition in the free space...
You need swap too...

to backup your windows before you start messing up with ubuntu.

dd can image your drive and partitions actually...

The reason i'm suggesting ubuntu for you is because its got built it braille and speech support so in the same time you can have output on both devices or you can choose if you want to use speech or braille. Btw if i'm correct

You can do that in all distros of linux. And ubuntu happens to be one that comes with it installed by default.
Debian comes with brltty and has orca easily available.

ubuntu uses brtty for braille support.

Yes, its actually brltty, but orca talks to brltty and that talks to your display. BRLTTY can do the text mode stuff... Orca is for gui stuff and then you can use speakup or brltty speech for speech in a text-console...