RE: Some stories

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 06:44:55 -0500

Hi,

While neither a "story" or "entertaining" the biggest problem I have
observed as both a blind programmer myself and as a manager thereof is a
combination of being overwhelmed by the number of syllables a screen reader
might use to describe a single line of code, the level of indentation or the
text description of a single symbol - while this may seem like a simple
problem, it can quickly cause the user's short term memory to overflow and
require rereading the text in smaller chunks.

The other major issue comes from the inevitable homophones which may have
radically different meanings but, contextually, are close together.  I
cannot think of any specifics at the moment but I'm only on coffee mug
number one.  I do, however, recall having had to cursor through some code
segments to learn that some other programmer used things that sound alike
but look different and caused me terrific confusion.

cdh