Re: Some stories

  • From: Jim Dunleavy <jim.dunleavy@xxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:30:12 +0000

Hi Andreas,

In an emergency situation once or twice, when my braille terminal was
temporarily
out of action, I used a VT320 terminal in a VAX/VMS environment.

Of course, the only audio output from such a thing is the high-pitch beep
made by the ASCII BEL character.
There are several things you can do in such dire circumstances.
e.g., to find out if my DCL commands were successful, I mapped a
function key to a DCL command that would cause a beep if the previous
command
was successful, something like:
$ define /key/noecho/term pf4 "if $status then write sys$output bel"
It would be hard to do full-blown development in such an environment,
but on one occasion, when I had to make an emergency amendment
I used a DEC LA75 dot-matrix printer connected to the terminal
as a slave and read the compiler output using an Optacon.
I could tell a clean compilation by the longer time delay and the
satisfying thud as the printer produced the single "dollar prompt".

--Jim