Re: Possibly OT, VMWare?

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 00:04:16 +0300

VMWare has many products and you can use them all for virtualisation, however some of them are free, some of them cost money, some of them could be installed over another OS, some of them can be installed as an OS directly, some of them have limitations.

I knew the most important features of some of their products, but I don't remember them very well.

VMWare Player can be used if I remember well for using an image created by someone else with some of their other programs.
It is free.

If I remember well, VMWare Server could also create an image, but it doesn't have so many features for making this creation easy, like VMWare Workstation does.
And I think it is also free.

VMWare Workstation is better than VMWare Server because it can create images but with different tools for making this easier. However it costs money if you don't want to download and use a free version with BitTorrent.

But anyway, if you get an image of an OS, you can use well VMWare Player which is free. If you want to create an image, you need sighted assistance, exactly like when you need to install the OS directly on the hard disk.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>