Possibly OT, VMWare?

  • From: "Christy Schulte" <christy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 13:27:32 -0500

I've seen some discussion on this list regarding VMWare, and it sounded like
this would make it possible to run linux and windows on the same machine at the
same time. Seeing as how I very much want to get back into the linux scene for
both personal and potentially future professional reasons I find this a
fascinating prospect, so I did a little research. However, everything I'm
seeing looks like it's intended for large businesses and data centers, which
would be way, way over what I'd need for a single home computer.

so my questions are as follows. Am I even on the right track as to what VMWare
can do, and is it possible to do this without sighted assistance on a computer
that already has windows installed? If so, is the price worth it, versus buying
a new machine as a dedicated linux box? And if all this checks out, can someone
give me a suggestion for which product I need to look for specifically?

I have a feeling that there's a hang up somewhere and that I'd just be better
off buying a new machine when I can actually afford it, but I figure it never
hurts to ask. If nothing else, I'll hopefully learn something. VMWare wasn't
covered in the networking class I just completed.