Re: Please place responses at the beginning of your email.Re: WhichLinux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:47:05 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

seams reasonable to use a style that is optimal for us not sighted
people.  They easily skim downward with their eyes to new content or
have different speakers shown in different colors, etc.

Well, I am a braille reader and can scim passed the > signs.
So can speech-users since you just listen for ">" which is the first character of the line and continue pressing down arrow...

You are absolutely right, however, that this tends to be the norm on
sighted, technical lists.  It is one reason I dropped off the Ruby list

Lots of blind user lists use it like brltty or blinux...

-- it was quite inefficient for me and my top posting repeatedly got
criticized by others.

Top-posting can get annoying I have to admit.
But I wouldn't complain about it personally.

Personally, I think it is as efficient for everyone to summarize the
points to which one is responding as part of one's response, rather than
inserting quotes and going back and forth between the quotes and one's
willing to summarize their understanding of what the other person said,
but instead has to quote it verbatim.  Email is supposed to be an an
informal, efficient medium, not one intended for academic or legal,

Yes, but quoting is easier for the reader and writer...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>