Re: Make Facebook's live chat accessible to blind screen reader users?

  • From: Tyler Littlefield <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:26:57 -0600

My point was that people scream and yell about things not being accessible when
there are clearly workarounds or the program itself is accessible. Your points
made first don't match with your points later. Nothing is going to be *easy*.
As a blind computer user, *you* have to learn to use the tools available, like
the jaws cursor in order to make things work sometimes, because though we do
have a lot of programs accessible out-of-the-box, being able to use those tools
will make things a lot easier for you, and saves a lot of patitions that people
more than likely won't read. If I were to receive an email that said "Your
program is unaccessible, fix it," I'd just hit the delete key and move on.
Sadly that is what most of the emails look like, rather than someone explaining
why the program isn't accessible, what the reader is and does, and how the
person could make it more accessible first contact usually means someone throws
up the ADA and screams because the person didn't know that there were blind
people and people with other disabilities using tools out there to begin with.
                Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
        http://tds-solutions.net
        Twitter: sorressean