Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: "Arnold Bailey" <arnoldbail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 14:19:56 -0500

Hi all,

I chose python because it was quick and easy to istal and use. I will look
into ruby though. My thoughts of Java was for high schol students, because
when they get to college, it will be Java initially. From Java, C++ can
easily be learned. But, I agree 100% on the procedural compiler for those
not ready to learn OO. Basic does even make sense because that is what my
older son learned at 7 on TI computer. Would Visual Basic or Ruby be advised
for the "tweeners"?

Also, I'm  a member of the NFB and this is our local initiative. Mentoring
is part of this; but, it's just the beginning. I was told by an unnamed
person high up in the NFB that programming for the blind/VI is only for the
"intelligent" kids. I'm trying to prove that the issue isn't intelligence.
It's more support and opportunity. But, that's another issue.

Arnold

On Nov 12, 2007 11:27 AM, Ken Perry <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Grin you should try Small talk.  You can't do anything in small talk with
> out an object but the language gives you so many objects to start its like
> an object heaven.  The problem is I have only found really one small talk
> IDE that is accessible some what and until it has better scripts it is
> still
> difficult to do stuff in.  I was able to write some basic programs in it
> and
> if your an OO thinking person Small talk will just turn your crank.
>
> Ken

Arnold
http://www.blind411.org
http://www.blind411.org/ITCareers/