Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:21:29 -0500

Hi,
Sorry, but we are starting to drift a bit with this post. Not picking on
anyone particularly. I just happened to see this one.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Nimer Jaber"
             <nimerjaber1@gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to
                                       Program for the Blind
             11/12/2007 02:37
             PM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Wow! I was under the impression that NFB's philosophy was such that a
blind individual could acchieve anything with the right equipment and
training and that blindness wasn't as much a disability but a
hindrance and a nuissance.
Antyway...

On 11/12/07, Arnold Bailey <arnoldbail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I chose python because it was quick and easy to istal and use. I will
look
> into ruby though. My thoughts of Java was for high schol students,
because
> when they get to college, it will be Java initially. From Java, C++ can
> easily be learned. But, I agree 100% on the procedural compiler for those
> not ready to learn OO. Basic does even make sense because that is what my
> older son learned at 7 on TI computer. Would Visual Basic or Ruby be
advised
> for the "tweeners"?
>
> Also, I'm  a member of the NFB and this is our local initiative.
Mentoring
> is part of this; but, it's just the beginning. I was told by an unnamed
> person high up in the NFB that programming for the blind/VI is only for
the
> "intelligent" kids. I'm trying to prove that the issue isn't
intelligence.
> It's more support and opportunity. But, that's another issue.
>
> Arnold
>
> On Nov 12, 2007 11:27 AM, Ken Perry <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Grin you should try Small talk.  You can't do anything in small talk
with
> > out an object but the language gives you so many objects to start its
like
> > an object heaven.  The problem is I have only found really one small
talk
> > IDE that is accessible some what and until it has better scripts it is
> > still
> > difficult to do stuff in.  I was able to write some basic programs in
it
> > and
> > if your an OO thinking person Small talk will just turn your crank.
> >
> > Ken

OO.
> > It seems like I would need to come up with a relatively big project to
> > make
> > it worth doing in OO. I keep saying to myself that whatever I am
thinking
> > of
> > doing at the time is easier to do procedurally. I never find a
compelling
> > enough reason to do OO. I read about how great it is in the programming
> > material I look at, but some how, that never translates into my
learning
> > because I get intimidated by all the setting up of all the objects just
> > get something simple done. There has to be some middle ground in all of
> > this
> > somewhere.
> >
> > Finally, I don't know enough to be able to tell if whatever project I
am
> > thinking of doing is best to do in procedural or OO.
> >
> > And one more thing while I'm rambling. It seems like OO really doesn't
> > model
> > the real world even though the OO material I have read to this point
says
> > it
> > does. I should probably save that for another email though.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> > James D Homme, , Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
> > james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810
> >
> > "Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change
the
> > world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead
> >

> >             "Veli-Pekka
> >             Tätilä"
> >             <vtatila@xxxxxxxx
> >             dent.oulu.fi>             programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx