Re: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: "Arnold Bailey" <arnoldbail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:27:06 -0500

Chris,

I have also been looking into the same issue. If you look at my website
http://www.blind411.org/ITCareers/ under teachers"->course plans, I am
building a series of course sessions. These are being presented to blind and
visually impaired middle and high school students in our school district. In
my approach I will:

1. Introduce Information Technology as a career. You'll see the presentation
link.
2. I decided on Python to introduce the concept of programming. It is an
interpretive and can be executed interactively. This allows hands on and
experience the results immediately. Also, the  IDLE (GUI) interface seems to
be better for the  visually impaired because of the font; and, the command
line interface is needed for Jaws for the blind students. You'll see a link
to my scenario. Downloading and installing python is easy. You'll see the
link there also.
3. My next plan is to teach Java to any of the students who feel like trying
programming. I picked Java because it is widely taught in colleges as an
introduction to compsci. It is also C like and it is object oriented. If you
click in the nav links on learning Java, you see the links to install it and
some tutorials.

The site is intended for student instruction. The references and links were
largely gotten through  this mailing list by a lot of generous and
knowledgeable programmers. I kept references/tutorials/etc. to a minimum
because there is way too much information out there. Sometimes focus is
needed.

I have many years of programming experience in more languages than I care to
admit. I have only a minimal cursory knowledge of Java; but, when I start
instruction, I'll read up on the Java tutorials. I planned to instruct via
email/skype and the online tutorials; but, I haven't gotten to that point
yet. In a couple months, I should be ready.

Contact me via email if I can help in any way.

Arnold

Arnold
http://www.blind411.org
http://www.blind411.org/ITCareers/