[procps] Re: top: NUMA node CPU utilization support

  • From: Lance Shelton <LShelton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 09:20:24 -0600

On 4/10/13 2:39 AM, "Jim Warner" <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>What worries me is how many distros may not bother to enable numa support
>even though they ship libnuma anyway.
>
>My instincts tell me this is a very important procps enhancement.
>Currently there is no easy way to quickly assess cpu usage in those
>environments where numa is likely to be used (massively parallel
>machines).
>
>The existing top is limited to screen rows for individual cpu stats while
>the remainder just get truncated in such environments.  Besides, those
>stats become less useful the more cpus there are.

I share Jim's concerns.  There are other ways we can scrape the NUMA node
information if necessary, such as from /sys/devices/system/node/*, but the
implementation for top may not be as clean as with numactl/libnuma.

Lance

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.  Any
unauthorized use, copying, disclosure or dissemination of this communication is
prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient,  please notify the sender
immediately and delete all copies of the message and its attachments.