-=PCTechTalk=- Re: offtopic/seeking short wmv butterfly movie for powerpoint

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 16:39:50 -0400

Cristy,
    I have a better idea.  Since this group was designed to be a teaching
forum, how about I just go ahead and show you how to do all of this stuff
yourself?        lol

    First, you'll need a way to get these files onto your hard drive.  There
are several Firefox extensions I use and some work better than others for
different files & sites.  Two of these extensions are described below.

DownloadHelper:
    For most sites, I am able to capture these .FLV files using one called
DownloadHelper.  The extension provides a toolbar icon that can be placed
almost anywhere.  This icon has a drop down arrow that will list all of the
multimedia files it finds on the presently open page or tab.  It took a
little work to figure out which listing belongs to the video files (they
often show as "4827515.flv"), but it's a simple as clicking on that line,
renaming the file (don't remove the .flv extension) and telling it where you
want to store it.

http://www.downloadhelper.net/

YouPlayer:
    However, I found that another extension called YouPlayer works much
easier for videos found on YouTube.  Once installed, it places an icon
(white square with the letters YP in red) at the bottom of the browser.
Click on the icon and a window opens where you can simply add the page by
dragging from the page's tab into the bottom of the open window.  You'll
immediately see the page's title shown in that bottom area.  Right click on
it and select Download and you're in business.  This extension also acts as
a player so you can watch a saved video as often as you like without having
to actually go to YouTube.

Conversion:
    To change any of these downloaded videos to other formats (such as wmv,
avi, mpg, etc.), you'll need a media converter.  I use a free one called,
oddly enough, "Media Converter".  You can download it from the following
link.  They also have an online converter you can use (second link) if you
prefer to not install anything.

http://www.mediaconverter.org/index.php?s=saconverter
http://www.mediaconverter.org/index.php?s=convert

    This little gem can take almost any kind of media file and convert it to
nearly any other type.  It handles the following filetypes with ease.

Audio: mp3, ogg, wav, wma
Video: 3g2, 3gp, avi, flv, m4v, mov, mp4, mpg, mpeg, rm, wmv

    It also allows you to control the resulting file's resolution, filesize,
bitrate and other specs so that you can get exactly what you need for your
projects. If you find yourself needing to convert more than one file a month
or if you need more control over how the finished file appears, this one is
well worth installing.

    If you decide to try it out for yourself, just give a yodel if you have
any questions.  Incidentally, I converted your butterfly into several sizes
and bitrates and the best quality compromise I got produced a .wmv file
that's 560k.  The original .flv is 400k.

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"