-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Musical boot failure

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 22:38:05 -0400

See below:

Peace,
Gman

http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php

From: <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 12:14 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Musical boot failure

> This prologue was written after the response below was written.
>
> I have decided to simply reinstall both XP and Vista.  Without all the
> location changes and other tweaking.  With two new  problems popping up
> for every one I overcome, I have decided that any performance boost to
> be gained falls far short  of being worth the trouble to get it.
>
> That said,  I do want to learn something from this fiasco, so a reply to
> your response is below.   Your comments and suggestions, and educated
> guesses, especially regarding items marked ***** would be appreciated.
>
> IF.  Even without the caps that is a big and very important word.  The
> sequence of events (repeated below) does nothing to help me determine IF
> permissions were hijacked and if they were why an imaged version of XP
> that originally had them did not get them back when restored.  What else
> might have been impacted by the move and move back that would not have
> been fixed by the restores that were done?
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - end of Prologue
>

> The XP install was first.  Then Vista.  Then XP was imaged followed by
> Vista and the Data Drive.

This changes my initial guess, although I'm not yet sure where it sends it.

> Data drive was moved and moved back by Vista.  XP became screwed up.

Was XP fired up at any time while the data drive was not where XP expected
it to be?

> Restored Data drive.  Restored XP.  Rewrote the Vista MBR using EasyBCD.

XP was already messed up by this point, so the proverbial "if" is likely to
be found within an action (or inaction) prior to this exercise.

> ***** If Vista hijacked permissions, I suspect I would need to restore
> Vista to release the hostages.  But, since the restored XP had those
> permissions, why didn't restoring it fix it?  Could something have made
> changes to ntldr that would cause the problem?

The rest of these questions appear to focus specifically on my suggestion of
'Permissions'.  Never lose track of the fact that this entire suggestion is
only a guess.  "IF" a serious inquiry were to be brought into this mystery,
it could very well turn out to be something else entirely.

Under NTFS, permissions are written directly to the drive holding the
'permissioned' items.  A restore of the Vista &/or XP volumes would do
nothing to modify the permissions physically stored on the NTFS formatted
Data drive.  Only a restore of the Data drive could do that.

> What might have had permissions hijacked that would cause the hang at
> the point where it hangs?

An important XP system file needed at XP's boot that did not give XP
permission to engage it when it was called from the XP registry during
bootup.

> If XP doesn't see the my documents folder, it simply creates a new one
> where it expects to find it.

True.

> AVG Suite, MS Office 2007, MS Plus Digital Media Edition and Vispics
> were the only programs installed in XP and they were installed with the
> Program Files folder on the data drive.

Noted.

> ***** It would seem to me the "missing" program files folder would
> simply create error messages during boot and start up rather than hang
> the boot itself since (I assume) startup programs don't start until
> Windows is loaded.

If the registry had been told to use a separate volume for its Program Files
folder, all already existing Program Files files & folders need to be Copied
over to that volume.  If this is not done, Windows is likely to go looking
in the wrong location for the files added to this system folder during the
install.  In other words, it will look for most (but not all) of them in the
new location.  If they are not where they are expected to be, unexpected
results can be expected instead.  As a precaution against this, I Copy the
original to the new location, make the necessary changes to the registry to
tell Windows to use the new location for both 'Program Files' & 'Common
Files' and then leave the old ones right where they are.

> ***** At any rate I will simply reinstall both systems and start over.
> And everything is going to go where the OS wants it to be.  And then I
> may try relocating the "My Documents" and "Documents folders to the Data
> Drive (or maybe an external) and point XP and Vista (respectively) to
> them.   I'm thinking that using the internal data drive will be best and
> just "sync" it to an external when I need to go portable.

Fair enough.  Although you are choosing to use much less than you have
learned here, the fact remains that you now know a heck of a lot more than
you did before you started these experiments.  Perhaps it's time to drop the
'reckless' part from your name.       ;)

in the Subject.