-=PCTechTalk=- Re: XP Musical boot failure

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:12:21 -0400

Maybe not.  I have not yet restored anything . . . . .

1. It appears, by looking at file/folder modified dates, that it is
possible that the data drive was used as the "install to" drive for both
Vista and XP since the last image was made.  I really don't think that
is the case with Vista though.
2. If the move and then move back messed up the XP boot why didn't it
mess up the Vista boot?  (I incorrectly said "copied" in my original
message)
3. Is there a way to be sure that item 1. is or is not the case?
4. If we assume permissions are the problem is there a way to fix them
without restoring from the backups?
5. Acronis Disk Director Suite was installed on Vista "before".  ATI was
installed "after".  Disk Director Suite no longer appears in the
Start>All Programs>Acronis folder but it does launch when I click on DDS
in the Start MRU list of programs.  Is this related to the move/move
back?  Can it be fixed?  Easily?
6. Windows was, of course, not moved in this process.  How would
permissions get changed?  I would be more suspicious of registry entries
related to installed programs but am inclined to think that would not
stop windows from booting.  Instead I would expect it to open dialog
boxes and error messages when trying to launch any impacted programs.
7. I know that Windows updates locations on a file/folder move.  Vista
apparently updated fine (except for DDS?) since the move was done within
Vista.  Since XP was not launched, it had no way of knowing the
files/folders were moved.  However, I expected the move back to move
everything back to where it was since no folder or file locations were
changed between the move and the move back.  So how did XP get messed up?
8.  I can (and will, if necessary) restore the latest image of XP,
Vista, and Data drive.  I would rather avoid that if possible as some
work has been done since the last images were made.

Don

Gman wrote:
> It may have messed with permissions.  If that's the case, a restore from
> image will fix it.
>
> Peace,
> Gman
>
> http://www.thevenusproject.com/index.php