-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows XP BSOD When Attempting Wireless Network

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 00:11:04 -0500

This helps a TON, but also brings up a bunch of questions that I may not
quite have the proper words to ask, so bear with me here.    lol

The error you have here is just another way of showing the BSOD error codes.
Specifically, it translates to,

STOP:  MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
(which means you have a serious hardware issue)

0x0000009C  (0x00000000, 0x8054E0F), 0xA2000000, 0x84010400)

The four codes in parenthesis are not quite as important as the one outside
of it, but that's good because the second one inside should never include a
')' in it.  I suspect it should have even a '0', but I hesitate to go with a
suspicion when it comes to these things.

Problems like this are often very difficult to properly diagnose, so there's
a chance we may not get very far after possibly spending a lot of time on
this.  Troubleshooting hardware issues can lead us through numerous
seemingly unrelated paths (drivers, excess heat, port connections, etc.).
I'm not trying to scare you with that.  I'm just preparing you for what
could be the worst possible scenario.  So, let's begin by ruling out some of
the basics.

The first thing I'd like you to do is to open up the Event Viewer and see if
you can locate this same error report in there.  It will probably be listed
within the System area, but that's not a definite.  To open it up, go to
Start > Run, type in 'eventvwr.msc' (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Once opened, click on the word System in the left pane to see all of the
recorded events within that category.  The report you seek will have a red X
before it, but I can't help you with its full title since I have no record
of this particular BSOD.  To see a full error report, just double click on
one of the lines to open up another window.  Start at the top and work your
way downwards opening all of the ones with a red X  If you do find it, the
separate window will allow you to Copy the full report so it can be pasted
into a reply to this email.  If you don't find it within the System area,
check within the Application area.  I'm asking for this info just in case
the full report with the correct code will lead us to a much faster solution
than manual troubleshooting.

Next, open up Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc) and see if there
are any hardware devices that are not being recognized properly.  Let me
know what you find.

I'd also like you to describe when/how this started.  Were there ANY changes
(external hardware added, software added, settings changed, etc) made to the
system just before it started?

Happy Holidays,
Gman