-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The dog poo hits the fans

  • From: "GMan" <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:57:39 -0500

Becky,
    Ok, the computer started out as a Dell Dimension L866R.  The original
system page is shown at the site below.  This is where you would go to get
access to the most recent driver files, a copy of the manual &/or other
technical support for that system.  I've shortened the link so it would fit
on one line of this email.

http://wapurl.co.uk/?0366TMQ

This is the online manual for the computer.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dmum/

And these are the specs that tell us nearly everything we need to know about
the original system.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dmum/specs.htm

    According to these specs, this PC originally shipped with a 145 Watt
power supply.  That amount is woefully inadequate for running any computers
purchased today, but it was fine in its day.  Still, having no idea of what
modifications Neil made to this system (other than moving it into a
different case), so I'm gonna err on the side of caution and suggest getting
at least a 300 W supply for it.  My feeling is that it is burning itself out
trying to keep up with the demands that newer software has been placing on
it (the software's need for more system resources that then requires more
power to supply those resources).

    I have no idea about the state of your financial situation, but I always
attempt to save folks as much as possible.  On the other hand, I try my best
to ensure that I don't recommend parts that are less than reliable.  To
complicate matters, Dell uses a proprietary design for their mainboards that
requires a complimenting proprietary power supply (the various voltages and
such are different from any other maker).  As a result, here is my
suggestion for replacing the power supply in your computer.

PC Power & Cooling: Silencer® 360 Dell
Retail: $79 (I am searching for a better price)
http://wapurl.co.uk/?AAIOTQF

    In addition, this is the actual text provided to me by Neil back on Oct
23, 2002.  It contains the specs at that time.  You'll want to write this
info down somewhere and also let me know if anything has changes since (did
he change the operating system to Win98, Win 2000 or WinXP?, is there a
larger hard drive now?, etc.).

************************************
More specifics,
Windows Me with 384 megs of ram, 40 gig hard drive Boots and gives the one
beep "No error?" then displays the dell logo screen and then the message in
dos looking screen (Black) this is the complete screen message.

Copyright 1996-2000 Intel Corporation
CA81020A.10A.0030.P10.0011131641

Dell Dimension L866R
Bios Version A09
Intel (R) Pentium III Processor 866MHz
384MB RAM
Keyboard.............Detected
LegacyMouse.......Detected
USBLegacy..........Enabled

Fixed disk 0: Maxtor 5T040H4 (UDMA=66MHZ)
Atapi CD-ROM CD-RW CRX140E
Press <DEL> to Resume

Peace,
GMan