-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The dog poo hits the fans

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:06:58 -0400

I tend to think its less likely to be the fan. I would do some RAM swapping
first to see if maybe one of the sticks is bad.
Regarding the BIOS. The BIOS is basically the most "basic" set of instructions
that tells the computer what to do as soon as you hit the power switch to turn
everything on. In the BIOS, there is usually (on up-to-date models) a monitor
to show you your temps for your CPU. If you check the monitor immediately after
a crash, you can see if anything looks hotter than should be.

To get into the BIOS, when you start the computer up, you will usually see a
notice saying something to the effect of "hit F2 to enter setup", or it could
be DELETE, or F10, or a multitude of other keys. You have to see what it says
onscreen.

Once in the BIOS, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING as changing the wrong
thing can really screw things up. Just follow the instructions on the screen
and look through the different tabs, and one should be a monitor of sorts. Look
at the temps of the CPUm and anything else it shows.

To test the RAM, assuming you have more than one stick installed, you can
remove ONE stick and only use ONE stick. If that still locks up, then switch it
out and replace with the other stick. Check again to see if it locks up. If it
locks up on one stick and not the other, you've probably found the problem.

If you decide to get a power supply unit, I would be more than happy to make
some suggestions. And, when Gman reads this, he'll probably beat me to it
anyways, giving you some PSU suggestions.

Hope this helps.

======================================
= SirTroth
= ICQ: 1717439