-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The dog poo hits the fans

  • From: Becky kane <bekkykane@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

I got the old coot to unplug everything and set it up on the table. Right off
the bat looking at the RAM I could see one of the two was not in correctly
because one of the white tabs was not closed all the way, I pushed it all the
way in while holding the side of the metal part of the case. I heard it snapped
into place like it was born there :-). Got everything put back together as far
as wires and everything else is concerned and rebooted. Though the fan in the
power supply never moves the computer booted up perfectly and has not shut down
since. Thank you so much for your great advice, you seem like a very smart and
nice young man. You sound like the type that would be in the Marine Corps? I
had family in the Marine Corps and the only thing I can say is God bless
everyone of them, now more than ever.
~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  I tend to think its less likely to be the
fan. I would do some RAM swapping first to see if maybe one of the sticks is
bad.
Regarding the BIOS. The BIOS is basically the most "basic" set of instructions
that tells the computer what to do as soon as you hit the power switch to turn
everything on. In the BIOS, there is usually (on up-to-date models) a monitor
to show you your temps for your CPU. If you check the monitor immediately after
a crash, you can see if anything looks hotter than should be.

To get into the BIOS, when you start the computer up, you will usually see a
notice saying something to the effect of "hit F2 to enter setup", or it could
be DELETE, or F10, or a multitude of other keys. You have to see what it says
onscreen.

Once in the BIOS, BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE ANYTHING as changing the wrong
thing can really screw things up. Just follow the instructions on the screen
and look through the different tabs, and one should be a monitor of sorts. Look
at the temps of the CPUm and anything else it shows.

To test the RAM, assuming you have more than one stick installed, you can
remove ONE stick and only use ONE stick. If that still locks up, then switch it
out and replace with the other stick. Check again to see if it locks up. If it
locks up on one stick and not the other, you've probably found the problem.

If you decide to get a power supply unit, I would be more than happy to make
some suggestions. And, when Gman reads this, he'll probably beat me to it
anyways, giving you some PSU suggestions.

Hope this helps.

= SirTroth

Becky