-=PCTechTalk=- Re: The Official Geek Squad Reference Manuals - Free Download

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 11:44:28 -0700

GMan,

Thanks for the manuals.
The link you sent me for the additional ones had the original 6 further down
on the same page.
For some reason, I could easily download the pdf files.

I not only appreciate your sending me the link to the extra ones, but also
following up.

I did find the the information very interesting.

I was most impressed with member comments.

Having written manuals for such purposes, I was somewhat surprised.

While it sounds like it is a joke, it surely is not.
Manuals like this exist for a number of reasons.  One is consistency.  In
order to alleviate the potential for lawsuits, a company has to have a
'procedure in place' to show what the company policy is and that it is
standardized.

The interview process and others processes may only be the handouts given at
training sessions.  More detail is given in the class, these are just the
highlights.
I believe this for several reasons.  If I remember correctly, there is space
between each item in the training sections for the individual to make notes
that will help him/her remember the lesson(s).

Unfortunately, allot of this is simply CYA stuff.  (CYA = Cover Your
A**.............or if you are religious...it is CTA .. Cover Thy A**) (The
CTA is one I made up many many years ago... You know how when you think you
might be in trouble...and you say..."Oh God!..Save me..what did I do
now?"...lol!  I hope this does not offend anyone.  It is merely a bit of my
weird humor)

It is difficult to write a manual for technical and mechanical jobs when
there is an 'unknown' in the equation.  The "Unknown" in this equation is
the "End User" of the "HID" (Human Interface Device).  That could be the
mouse or other things we attach to a computer to use it.  We know computers
can sometimes 'seem' to act like the humans who run them.  Depending upon
the makeup of the computer, its components, and how they are set up and/or
modified, and the user's skill level as well as their doing an "oops!' or
not realizing they had done an "oops!" or "No No" almost anything in
possible.

In any case, I did find the information helpful.  We now know what corporate
thinks...or at least what they thought 3 yrs ago.  Image is nearly
everything.

Again, thanks for the links AND the follow up... As always ... you are
Johnny on the Spot...or that should be GMan on the Spot!
Rose