-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Internet Explorer Problems

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:43:33 -0500

Hi Sue,
    I completely understand your hesitation in trying out new programs,
especially with the bad press that some anti-spyware apps have (deservedly)
received recently.  However, Firefox is not one of those programs that will
do anything to harm your system.  During the time that I was stuck offline,
I kept reading all sorts of great things about it as a way to both get
around IE's security issues as well as its use of tabbed browsing.  When I
finally got back online, I downloaded and installed the newest edition to
give it a spin.  It only took about a week before I made it my default
browser, it's THAT good!  And I'll never go back to using IE for my regular
browsing again.  I still use it for Windows Updates and for any
Microsoft.com searches that I conduct, but that's about it.

    If you're willing to give it a try, you can download the latest version
(v2.0.0.12) at the link below.  They are working on a new major revision
(v.3.0), but it's still in beta (they're still testing it before releasing
it to the general public).

http://www.mozilla.com

    If you don't already have your own system for dealing with program
downloads, my suggestion would be to download it directly to your Desktop.
When it's finished, double click on it to start the installation of the
program and just follow the directions.  Since you can stay connected to the
internet the whole time this is running, if you come to any decisions you're
not sure about, fire off an email to us and we'll help you answer it.  Once
it's installed, you should then create a new folder on the Desktop and call
it something like "Firefox 2.0.0.12", Move the downloaded file inside this
new folder and then Move the new folder someplace safe for storage (perhaps
a special "Downloads" folder inside your My Documents area).  By saving
downloaded application files this way, you won't need to re-download them in
the event you ever have to reinstall them later.  Of course, if you're
hurting for space, you're probably better off just deleting the downloaded
file once it's installed.

    Let us know when Firefox has finished installing and I'll give you some
additional suggestions for getting used to it.  Just remember, it's as easy
to learn as IE.          :O)

http://www.alternet.org/democracy/77498/?page=entire
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"