-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Internet Explorer Problems

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:15:24 -0500

Hi Sue,
    I agree with ML that the first thing should be to clean up the temp junk
that IE uses.  In order of her suggestions:

In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options.  It should open up with the General
tab already selected.  In the middle of that tab, click on the Delete Files
button.  you'll get a second window asking about offline content.  Click on
the check box to include those, too.  If you have any sites set up for
offline caching, you'll later need to reload the content (not a big deal).
Click OK and wait until your cursor returns to normal (it'll change to the
busy cursor while the files are being purged).

Next, click on the Clear History button near the bottom.  That shouldn't
take any time at all to complete.

I'm going to call this next part optional.  There's a chance that a corrupt
cookie file is the reason for your troubles.  There are no programs that can
make this sort of determination, so these directions are to explain how to
remove ALL unnecessary cookies from your 'collection'.  Most of us have
certain cookies we'd prefer to keep (for sites that remember us when we
return to them).  If you have already have a record of all of your website
username/passwords and don't mind retyping them in as you surf to those
sites (it would only have to be done once for each site), then the removal
becomes much simpler.

I'll start with the directions for full removal.  While still on the General
tab, click on the Delete Cookies button and wait a second or two for it to
finish.  That's all there is to it.

However, if you don't remember all of your website passwords &/or if you
just don't want to deal with the hassle of retyping them in, Cookie removal
will need to be done manually in order to preserve the ones you wish to
keep.  To that end, click on the Settings and then the View Files buttons
and you'll see a folder showing everything that was ignored after clearing
the Temp Internet Files above.  If everything went well with that process,
most of what you see remaining will be cookie files.  Since they are nothing
more than text files, you'll also see that they all sport the Notepad icon.

Removing a cookie form this folder is simple.  Just select the unwanted
cookie file and press your keyboard's Delete key.  The trick here is to
first scan through all of the filenames to get an idea of the ones that
belong to sites that require passwords.  Afterwards, select and delete any
that have nothing to do with the ones you want to save.  When you're
finished, close the folder window and then OK your way out of the Internet
Options Property sheet window.

Finally, reboot your system and retest those sites that were causing
problems.

http://www.alternet.org/democracy/77498/?page=entire
"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"