-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Corruption is rife!

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:07:10 -0400

Hi Roger,
    Although the rigmarole surrounding the wind-up was indeed enjoyable (and
a similar theme could be expressed for my schadenfreude), it was also highly
unanticipated.  Had I known such a fuss would be made out of a few oddly
typed characters, I may have better resisted the urge to fulfill your
request with such enthusiasm.  However, my father always said that friends
should always be there for each other and there was no way in &#(^% that I
was going to disappoint you.  For the record, I do not talk like that.  If
it helps, I don't even know how to pronounce #^($!.        ;0}

And now for something completely different:
    What you are experiencing is either Alien Control of your computer &/or
mind OR a hardware driver conflict.  My money is on the driver issue.  Since
its primarily effect seems to be to your cursor, I would start there by
uninstalling the driver for the touchpad and any mice that might be
currently showing as installed.  You will most likely then have to use the
keyboard commands to reboot your system.  If you are not familiar with
those, simply press the Windows key (the one with the MS flag for its icon)
to bring up the start menu.  Then, use your arrow keys to get to the Reboot
command.  For most XP systems, that would be one tap UP ARROW, press Enter,
two RIGHT ARROW taps and press Enter again.  Windows will reinstall the
drivers when the system comes back up, hopefully without any conflicts with
other drivers.

    If it doesn't help, then the true source of the conflict lies within the
driver installation of another device.  The trick then is to track down
which device is causing it by repeating the above instructions for other
devices until the problem is resolved.  Although there are only 11 or 12
major parts to a typical computer system, there are many more driver files
loaded for them, so this is not exactly a simple task (or set of tasks) to
follow.  Hopefully, reinstalling fresh touchpad drivers will be enough to do
the trick.      :O)

Peace,
Gman