[pchelpers] Scam

  • From: "s m d" <indigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:45:12 -0700

I got a question I hope someone out there can help with.  Is anyone familiar
with Europa Business Finder?
http://212.184.71.244:345/index.php

They SUPPOSEDLY will exchange links with you to your own website for free IF
you put their link on your website within three days.  If you don't put their
link on your website within three days, they will charge you $45 per year.  We
decided to exchange links with them and posted their link in ONE DAY.  Since
that time, they have been sending us threatening letters, saying we owe them
money because we did not link back to them within the three days (which is
untrue).  So, after realizing this link exchange was probably a scam, we
decided to eliminate the links from off their website and ours.  However, when
we got to their website to log in to delete out account, it says we OWE them
$25 dollars just to delete our account with them!!!  The letters they send to
us come from numerous email addresses (probably fake), all with a .de ending,
the sender's name keeps changing, and when we try to send them an email, we get
no reply.  But the threatening letters keep coming, about one
 a month.

What on earth are we supposed to do?  Give in to these bozos and give them the
$45 dollars + interest for the year's fee, then give them the $25 dollars to
get out of it?  Should I ignore it?  Report it?  We did exchange links with
them within the time required but they don't seem to care.