[pchelpers] Re: Scam

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: s m d <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:29:27 -0500

Hi Susan,

smd> No account info was given to them... but we had to give our name,
smd> address, telephone number when we signed up with them. They also
smd> claim to be logging everyone's IP address when they signed up

This is easy to do, but for the most part doesn't mean much; it's not
much better than recording the number of a public phone, unless they
can browbeat your ISP into cooperating.

smd> with them, which may or may not be true. They want $45 dollars,
smd> plus interest for every month we do not pay, which by now is up
smd> to $55. They say they need that interest fee to help pay for
smd> lawyers fees, court fees, so they can go after people like us who
smd> don't pay. :-)

smd> It has no bearing on our website or theirs. It's just supposed to
smd> be a "friendly" link exchange and that's all. It's just the
smd> intimidation factor that's making life with them unbearable right
smd> now. What do they call this? Extortion? It's almost that anyway.
smd> In the meantime I will keep the emails they send... they may come
smd> in handy later, including possibly tracing their origin.

smd> Any suggestions on where I could report this, if it comes to that?

Extortion is extortion. You held up your end of the deal. Call the
police and/or FBI and report it and then forget about it.

I wouldn't do business with someone who has only an IP address, not a
domain name, unless I already knew who it was.

--Scott.