[pchelpers] Re: Help please

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Inge <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:17:17 -0500

Hi Inge,

Saturday, July 19, 2003, 9:20:00 PM, you wrote:

I> I do have a lot of programs on my computer, because I operate two
I> businesses. I really do not want to back up the programs. I make
I> regular I would like to back up my whole system (I have Windows XP)
I> minus the programs and my files. Does that make sense to you?

Yes and no. Your computer is the sum of the parts. If it dies badly
enough for System Restore not to work (and I do hope you have that
turned on, with a reasonable amount of space allocated to it), there's
a good chance that you'll need to restore and/or reinstall everything
anyway.

It's pretty much a matter of calculating trade-offs.

Something that comes to mind is merely saving the System Restore
checkpoint files. So, if Windows dies beyond recovery, you can reinstall
Windows fresh, then restore the System Restore files from backup, then
restore the most recent System Restore checkpoint. I have no idea if
that would work as intended, though; someone would have to try it.

Something else to look at is the User State Migration Tool, which is
somewhere on the XP CD, I believe; there's a command-line version that
can be used for automated stuff and a GUI version for one-shot stuff.
I'm pretty sure that the User State Migration Tool can be customized
to back up and restore data from third-party applications, if you
want.

--Scott.