[pchelpers] Firefox not broken

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, pike@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 09:47:25 +0300

Hi Ed

Yup, definitely no Firefox problem. Your problem was caused by the
Session Saver extension. Either don't use that or tell the author about
your problem, and he'll be delighted to fix it. These guys actually like
problems and fixing them (sending the author a copy of this).
pike@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://texturizer.net/firefox/extensions/#sessionsaver

Seems the Session Saver extension needs to learn how to deal with some
especially aggressive popup you ran into. Firefox's popup blocker is
already the best, but maybe the Session Saver or Firefox don't know all
the newest tricks yet.

Basically, the extension did exactly what it was supposed to, remember
the last page you visited and always restarted Firefox with that. It
just happened the last page you opened was a popup. Definitely no
browser hijacking.

Those are supposedly very rare and pretty impossible with Firefox, at
least by means of the many vulnerabilities typical of Internet Explorer.
What can happen though is that your hosts file gets hijacked if you use
IE, and then Firefox is also forced by Windows to go to the scum pages
instead of Google or other important pages. I.e. that's a Windows
security problem, once again, not a Firefox problem. The solution is
simple. Use Spybot and have it lock the hosts file (tools/ IE tweaks).

> I also believe I sent the wrong address. The wife visits those sites like a
> hungry kid eats candy.
> The one that "broke" it had flashing lightning shooting off the horses
> pictures.
> I have since cleaned the cache, & basically messed around w/it & now have it
> working fine again.

Sounds great, but hopefully you didn't clean out the History. Would you
mind looking over the addresses of the pages on the day in question and
send those that might be the one you suspect? As you no doubt know, this
is done by pressing Ctrl+h, and as long as you don't doubleclick the
addresses themselves, they won't be activated. I'm sure your wife would
love to reminisce about the pages visited!

> I like it a lot but
> know there are bugs if you have just the right happenstance.

Sure, Firefox has bugs like anything made by man, but the developers
love hearing about them and fix any serious ones very quickly. More
importantly, they wrote the program with security and economy in mind
right from the start. Windows and IE were written with the goal of
making as much money as possible and with all available gimmicks,
connections, and services open and enabled by default. Security was and
still is an inside and outside joke at Microsoft.

So Windows and IE are bloated and full of thousands of very blatant
security problems like allowing anything external to run on or connect
to the operating system itself. It's basically like a company that
starts to sell a car built on a go-cart chassis then adding security
improvements retroactively when they hear about which accidents happen
most often. This kind of insanity and Wild West mentality should be
stopped by legislation.

It's irresponsible and short-sighted allowing people who basically care
only about getting rich quick at other people's expense do what they
want. Just because Gates is a billionaire now and much of the US and
even world economy is dependent on Microsoft is no reason to not make
them obey the laws that keep society from falling apart and having too
many people get hurt. Sure, there would be a dent in the economy if
Microsoft had to start cleaning up its act and paying for all the damage
it's caused, but in a short time the economy would even benefit from
effective legal action against MS.

Some people keep belittling the damage caused or possible to society by
Windows's security problems. If even so-called experts can forget
something as blatant as that fuel tanks explode inside and melt
skyscrapers, that seemingly innocuous paper knives can be a hijack
weapon, and that clearly drugged and glassy-eyed lunatics should not be
allowed onto a plane, then you can be sure that a dozen of intelligent
and well-trained people could very easily make the whole world's
infrastructure and economy collapse with a well-organized attack on a
worldwide computer infrastructure largely based on machines running on a
go-cart chassis. The number of hurt and killed people would be several
orders of magnitude higher than the 9/11 attack!

And the number of wasted hours and all the stress and emotional damage
caused to people and businesses by Microsoft's policy of continually
knowingly releasing sloppily made products that shoul be called halfware
(or tenthware) and letting the users discover and report the problems
amounts to an astronomic bill if ever presented in court as a class
action suit against MS. And if the short-sighted politicians and judges
preventing successful lawsuits against MS for illegal business
activities such as monopoly tricks wake up, the bill would be several
orders of magnitude higher than MS could ever pay.

Ek