[pchelpers] Re: Firefox Broke

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:38:17 +0300

> As for the extensions, yes, I do, but why uninstall them?

see www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/#install

Here's a less geeky explanation:
Since they're not really an integral part of the browser, Firefox
extensions sometimes create problems when you reinstall the browser
without disabling them first. Remember, anyone can write an extension,
so there can easily be problems in them.

Firefox itself is *very* stable. There is a good chance your problems
were caused by an error in an extension, not in FF itself. You might
consider installing only one extension at a time and always first making
sure Firefox doesn't crash or break again. I could do that detective
work for you if you don't feel like it. How many extensions do you have? (-:

Officially, it seems you only need to disable extensions in versions
prior to 0.8, but it doesn't hurt and doesn't take long.

> And how do I keep
> my Bookmarks, move them from the folder?

It doesn't hurt to back up your profile folder
(http://texturizer.net/firefox/edit.html#profile) or at least the
bookmarks.html file, but normally the uninstall should only touch the
program's own files (yes, in Program Files (-: ), not your own profile's
files.

Ek