Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:40:32 +1100

On 20/12/2013 8:25 AM, Jared Still wrote:

If your company archives data of site via NetBackup vaulting, or something similar,
good luck restoring a quarterly backup from last year without a catalog.

It can be done, but it is much simpler if the metadata is retained in the RMAN catalog.

Not sure about that, Jared.
We use Netbackup and it is a piece of cake to get any tape we want from off-site storage. I certainly would not rely on RMAN catalog to keep Netbackup tape id and locations! The scenario I described earlier where we got back a db from 2 years before was precisely off one of those Netbackup catalogs. Not an issue at all. Any notion that non-Oracle software cannot possibly work correctly with Oracle products belongs to sales arenas...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto