Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

  • From: Dave Morgan <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:55:58 -0700

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh@xxxxxxxxx>
> Excellent thread. There is a "magical" workaround to getting older control
> file from storage media even when CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME = 7 (or
Snip......
> In RMAN configure controlfile autobackup to ON.

Yes, thanks to all who responded. Took me by surprise :)

CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP is in every single backup I take, every single time.
Because of that I have not tested recoverying from a sql controlfile in a very
long time but I believe that it is still supported.

CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME max is 365, I usually use 90.

Please note I do not claim there is no use for a repository, One of my clients
would have difficulty operating without it. However, their DR plan is very
different from daily operating procedures and does not require the repository.

As many have said, if you have > 5 databases or use it your normal operations,
then you
would be a fool not to. Well, that's my standards :)

Also, RMAN is not a requirement for backups. We adapted an old Oracle 7 backup
script
for another client to use the "silvering" capability of their disk arrays, All
tablespaces
are put into backup mode, changes to 1.5 TB are copied between the arrays in
2-3 minutes,
tablespaces are then removed from backup  mode.

YMMV
Dave