RE: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

  • From: <rajendra.pande@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tim@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:12:01 -0500

 Yes...exactly :)
 And in my opinion its is also not a matter of if I like it or not.
Having a catalog provides you additional flexibility and convenience -
which comes at the "cost" of a lightweight database.
That provides you with additional options and ease in case you loose
your copy of your controlfile.
Can you work without it - yes of course. But, as  Mark said if for any
reason you loose the string or the belt then you don't have the
suspenders to prevent your back side from being exposed.
At a personal level - unless you are religiously against it I am not
sure why you wouldn't  use it.