RE: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

  • From: Dick Goulet <rjgoulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:59:24 -0500

To catalog or not to catalog has always been a question that never has had a good answer.  So let me put it this
way, I have a catalog db and I use it.  But I also practice restores without it and don't have a problem.  Course
it helps to have a tape librarian with lots of memory.  Ours likes to retain stuff for 3 years.  The controlfile
90 days.  Try "restore controlfile from '<media handle>';" where <media handle> =
c-<date>-<dbid>-00 if you need something beyond that 90 day point.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle Dba

From: Dustin Hayden<DHayden@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Why I don't like RMAN repositories
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 12:53:12 +0000

So what it if ages out you can always just re-catalog it and then restore.