Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

  • From: Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andy Klock <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:22:19 -0600

Yes I just went through my backup scripts and changed them to only connect
to catalog and resync after a backup completes. One too many backups
failing because of a network hiccup to the catalog (one is too many). So my
backups can run as scheduled if it goes down. The resync would fail
obviously but the next resync would catch it up.

We also have a dataguard setup so there is some extra value in having the
catalog there, as well as doing any sort of non-active duplication.

But for the most part I don't like depending on the catalog as just my
personal preference. But there are times when it has been nice to get the
history.

--
Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us