Re: To autostart database or not?

  • From: "Luis Fernando Cerri" <lfcerri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 14:53:34 -0300

Why not give the SA the minimum knowledge to use dbshut/dbstart and
always update your /etc/oratab when you create, update or remove an
instance? I've worked this way for years and SAs always did a good
job. Of course I always change the shutdown method to immediate on
dbshut.

If I cannot trust that Oracle do a minimum quality health-check at
startup I should not sleep by other reasons.

Just my thinking.

Best regards,
Cerri

2007/5/10, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Dwayne,

You are not being over-controlling if you want to be called to come in
every time the server burps.  That is the only issue.

Personally, I do not want to be called.  Let Oracle come up by itself
and only call me if it fails to start.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged
information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this
transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  In addition,
unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law,
including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985.  If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.