Re: Oracle out the door

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:21:28 +0100

I like a good rant, but I do have some comments...

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Rich Jesse <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Having added SQL Server 2K/2K5 to my resume in the past year I can offer a
> SQL Server hit list for the seasoned Oracle DBA:
>
> 10)  Regular rebuilding of indexes and reclaiming space.

When I last looked this was 'received wisdom' just as it was in the Oracle
world not that long ago.

> 9)  Temp "result" tables are the norm for programming.

except of course for stored procedures that return a result set where

create procedure blah (p1,p2)
as
select ...
from ..
where ..

works just fine. Way nicer that declaring a custom ref cursor type (or
sys_refcursor)

> 8)  Escalating Blocking Lock City!
> 7)  Cursors are evil here.
> 6)  Troubleshooting is easy: Reboot

or run sqlprofiler or dump the events to a single trace file along with the
events from the appserver- oracle can't do that yet.

> 5)  A hier-WHO-cical query???
> 4)  Indexes mixed in with table pages ("Charlie Foxtrot" in military
> jargon)

or index organised tables in our world.

> 3)  Corrupted pages ("blocks" to the Ora DBA).

dbv

> 2)  Everything should be in "dbo", right?

nope SYSTEM!

> 1)  Welcome to 1990!

really - Oracle 6! I think not.

--