Re: Oracle out the door

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:38:26 -0500 (CDT)

Having added SQL Server 2K/2K5 to my resume in the past year I can offer a
SQL Server hit list for the seasoned Oracle DBA:

10)  Regular rebuilding of indexes and reclaiming space.
9)  Temp "result" tables are the norm for programming.
8)  Escalating Blocking Lock City!
7)  Cursors are evil here.
6)  Troubleshooting is easy: Reboot
5)  A hier-WHO-cical query???
4)  Indexes mixed in with table pages ("Charlie Foxtrot" in military jargon)
3)  Corrupted pages ("blocks" to the Ora DBA).
2)  Everything should be in "dbo", right?
1)  Welcome to 1990!

Upper management probably won't care about any of this until it's too late.
At least shoot for EnterpriseDB (paid PostgreSQL) -- they're specifically
targeting installed Oracle bases.

GL!

Rich